Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Oakland Raiders: Is the Season Over Before it Even Began? - The Raider Nation Times

Oakland Raiders: Is the Season Over Before it Even Began?

Carson Palmer struggles during the loss in Miami

Eliott Howes â€" Sep 18, 2012

The Oakland Raiders are in a position many wouldn’t have expected them to be in during the off-season. The loss against San Diego was painful enough, but to lose 35-13 against the previously misfiring Miami Dolphins is very worrying! The scoreline isn’t the worst thing about the loss; it’s the way we played which is the main concern.

Leading 10-7 at half time, things looked promising but the 2nd half was the worst performance I have seen in several years from the Oakland Raiders. We lost the half 28-3. A misfiring Quarterback, a running back and offensive line who cannot adapt to the zone-blocking offense, a defensive line which cannot penetrate as well as a secondary which fails to read plays and make basic tackles. Now it doesn’t take an expert to realize that this is a recipe for disaster in the NFL!

Before the season started I predicted the Raiders to go 7-9 and that was being optimistic. I also said that the Titans, Browns and Dolphins would be the worst teams in the NFL in 2012 and I still believe so, but unfortunately the Raiders have joined them. I am a diehard Raider and I will scream as loud as I always have if we went 0-16, but even though this won’t be the case, I am very concerned.

We are the Oakland Raiders, a team for over 40 years which has brought fear and destruction to opponents. Today the Oakland Raiders are no longer feared, no longer dangerous, and many Raiders no longer show that burning passion which took Raider legends to the Pro Football Hall Of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Now back to my article title... “Is the season over before it already began?” I am not sure what is going on in the backroom of the organization but for me Reggie McKenzie seems reluctant to bring in any talent on either side of the ball, despite injuries to key players. I have heard it from my twitter followers and it is also on my mind, that it seems like we are already looking towards next year, and if so, that is very sad!

I would take a repeat of last season right now. Ok, we didn’t make the playoffs and threw away that chance when it looked an almost certainty but the football we played was entertaining to watch. Fake punts, play action, flea flickers and reverses were iconic last year but this year the play calling is completely different. I cannot understand it and it’s something that has made me feel angry when writing this that we are calling plays on 3rd and long, and wide receivers are running routes no deeper than 5 yards. Just go for it Greg Knapp! I am not his biggest fan but I enjoyed watching his offense in the past but whether it’s suited to the current personnel in Oakland, I’m not too sure!

Sunday sees the Raiders take on the Pittsburgh Steelers, a game which is rich with history. The Oakland Raiders are built to be a running team and if we can get Darren McFadden going we have a chance. Until we do that, there isn’t much we can do to stop teams from beating us but only time will tell.

This year looks to be a test of the patience of the Raidernation but as we are the most loyal fans in the NFL, we will be watching every Sunday to support the Silver and Black. Only 12% of teams who start 0-2 make the playoffs but who knows, anything can happen in Oakland!

Let me hear your opinions on what is needed to turn the season around by following me on twitter @WorldNFL

Twitter Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment